So anyways, it's been pretty chilly in the big apple. my craving for PHO is out of this world when the temp dips below 40. it's like pregger craving for pickle juice, hahaha. so i decided to make my own, b/c i haven't found a good enough pho place in the city yet. My fav. is still Pho Pasture in Boston.
alright, ready to rock? let's roll...
Beef stock... the foundation of a good bowl of pho...
- Beef knuckle bones or ox tail
- 2 large onions
- 1 big ginger, about half size of your palm
- beef soup spice (cinnamon, star anise.. i have to go read the labels, but you can get those from any chinese supermarket)
- rock sugar or regular sugar
- fish sauce
Bleed the kunckle bones, which means boil it in water first, and dump out the water and dirty foam, rinse the pot. This is to make sure the left over blood is out of the bone, no foam, so that the soup is clear.
dump all the ingredients in. now some recipes calls for the onion and ginger to be broiled/grilled first. i have done them both broiled or just as it, honestly, i think it makes a very mild difference, only a seasoned pho eater would notice. so it's up to you.
simmer for 3 hours. YES it has to be that long, that's when all the flavor from the bones will come out.
Preparing the bowl...
- pho noodle... duhhh
- raw beef layered on top, could use eye round, sirloin or london boil. i had the eye round.
- cut some thin slices of onion and soak in ice cold water to make it crisp and put on the beef before the soup is poured...not pictured here
- lime
usually in the rest. they will have the bean sprouts, basil etc. but i don't like them. i know, i'm weird. i like my pho plain, beef on the side, and i eat the beef raw drizzled in lime and siracha. OH! and plenty of scallion in the soup. ahhaha..
SMILE~~
i cooked some bok choy in the soup to make peace with my body. i have been on an eatting binge, to be just a little bit health concious, i threw them in. and i had some awesome beef tendon balls around and threw those in too. i gotta show you this brand i use, it's $5 a pack, which is expensive in my world for beef balls, but they are absolutely the best. MUST have in HOT POTs!
pour HOT HOT HOT BOILING HOT soup over the beef... ohhhh yeeeaaaaa..... *shiver* remember the beef will get cooked through.. here i placed some more raw beef on top.. cuz i like it RAWWWW.. hahaha
my baby girl on the kitchen floor watching me cook.. and go after anything i accidentally drop on the floor.
will "paw" for greenies
"mommy, i said pleaseeee already.... gimmeeee"
yum yum yum
mommy and daisy... scary non-made up face... yuck
so anyways, that's my lame update on life, hahaha... it's exactly what it is, go to work, cook, eat, shower, play with the baby girl, andddd... yea that's it.
ya know, i thought i'd be dating given that i've been single for almost 4 months. but nada, not even one single date. i don't know what my problem is, too busy with work, too stressed, not interested, i don't know... but i gotta tell ya, give me another month or two, i'll jump at anything with a penis. a rabbit can only do so much, hahahahaa....

mine looks something like this. this shit was so sick when i first got it in japan. it vibrats, twists, lights flashing, 8 speeds and pulses, like, damn it's like a freakin' disco party up in here! i miss those little japanese porn shops, you'd be surprise that office ladies go there to shop too! and they totally act normal inside. i remember holding this vibrator and watching it being used on the DVD that's playing by the register, i was all like, i'm so getting this one!!! in every single color!!!
but yea, dating is dreadful. it's just the whole "putting myself out there" thing is like a freaking chore to me! being emotionally open to someone gets difficult as you get older. i wish i could go back to my whoreish ways like my younger days. but times have changed and i'm a total housewife now.. lame, i know. i feel like a single mother, everytime i set up a dinner date or something, i have to call my mom or friend to walk and feed daisy for me, so i try to keep this to 2 times a week, so i don't bother them too much. i've had daisy for almost 2 yrs now, and i still just want to run home and see her every night....
alright, enough of my blabing... hope everybody's having an awesome week.. i'm going to Stratton, VT for a ski trip this weekend. we'll see about my sore asses on monday, hahahaa...

11 comments:
Hey CBB,
Do you ever moderate your comments ;-)
I LOVE PHO too! In a way, it reminds me of Japanese Shabu Shabu.
The DD is a killer...I'd be afraid of actual bodily harm with that thing!
Good luck on the dating scene...people who work long hours in Finance really have a hard time having a social life because of the hours. And when you've actually got free time, you're dead tired!
However, the pay is good, and does fund a heavy beauty habit!!
mmmm Pho! I want soem now!
oh yummy!
LOL i always get confused, is lighting necessary on those? :P
LOL... shhhh I have a rabbit too.. don't tell anyone.. *googly eyed* Hahahaha!!!! Mine's pink, but it looks a bit diff from that one, mine has a smoother less bumpy surface. Oh, I think mine is a rabbit pearl! xDD
Anyway, yummy soup! And Daisy looks adorable, AND you totally don't look scary without makeup! Dating will come around whenever, I think it's best when you don't expect anything. Just be light hearted and go with the flow! :] Oh yea, I think I'm coming to NYC next month, middle of the month sometime, I'm going to visit my friend, but I'd love to meet up with you... at Bergdorf! xD When's JS launching???
omg that thing looks like a pink monster! flashing lights?? lol....why can't canada have these sorts of things? and why is it that those shops in HK look like they only allow perverted old men in there?? here i am with just a typical one...i think i need to visit japan
you're making me crave pho again!
daisy is such a cutie.
I love Pho Pasteur! Which location did you eat at? I love the Harvard Square one, but it changed its name... your version looks so yummy!
The pho looks so yummie *drool*! I want some right now... hehe~
Your doggie reminds me of mine... hehe~ Not in the looks-wise since yours is tiny, but how she waits for you to drop food while cooking. My doggie does the same thing... lol~ I have to push him around because I need all the space I need to cook... hehe~
Yeah, you need to thin the Korean pancake for sure! :)
Hahahahaha man. I don't know about you, but my rabbit doesn't cut it. haha
I agree w/the whole dating thing. I've been single for 2 years+ but I haven't been on a single date (knowingly). Everything is so new to me. I'm not purposely trying to date, nor am I shunning the idea of it. I'm just allowing things to happen naturally. But it ain't my fault if no interesting prospects come knocking! It's scary, but don't worry. At least you have Daisy! =)
Careful w/greenies! I always cut off the the bristle head because my doggies don't digest it very well. Sometimes they'll swallow them whole >.<
Oh thank for sharing your recipe! I know how to make stock, but I didn't know it was called "bleed..." haha.
Hahah ummmmm m'dear, you have the smoothest skin I've seen! But yeah, everyone would benefit from silk pillowcases. Plus they feel AWESOME! =) My doggies even love them haha.
Btw, your place looks amazing! I love your windows!
JC: haha.. i am moderating my comments NOW... just for you!
japanese shabu is great on a cold day, pho is just an individualize version of it i guess.. lol
hahhaa.. DD is great, kept me company during lonely nights.
i know! finance people need to get off work earlier, so they can have time to date.
M: i think lighting is absoutely crucial, b/c guys can easily get lost in the lala wonderland. hahaha.. NO! i think lights are so unncessary. i wish i could turn that damn disco light off. it's like shooting laser lights out of my punani, for what? i ain't here to DJ. hahaa
Fuz: http://fashion.elle.com/blog/2009/02/jill-stuart-beauty-update.html
According to the Elle blog, the release date of JS is postponed... i guess you will have to make another trip in summer to indulge..
i'd love to meet up with u!!!! no doubt we gonna take over the bergdorf beauty level by storm... hahah
miumiu - i think everyone should have at least 1 that have all twisting, vibrating and pulsing functions. HK stores are creepy, i never wanted to take a step inside..ewwww..
Anon - i go to the one in brighton. i think they change the name to Le's or something.. but it's the same owner. still good! easier to find parking too.
ahlessa - yea i know what u mean. i always end up kicking daisy by accident, b/c she's always by my heels trying ot catch food. hahaha.. now she gives me a little more space and just watches me peacefully.. so cute...
Your pho looks so yummy.
Post a Comment