so over the weekend, i was at my mother's house because she's leaving for china tomorrow and i wanted to spend some more time with her. sat. i woke up late, lounged around and decided to do a quick mall run. before i left, she asked me if i had any plans sat. night. i was kind of taken back, b/c if i did, i wouldn't be staying with her over the weekend, so i said "no". then she proceeded to very easily suggest i go to her church gathering that night. umm.. usually i would have shot that idea down from miles away, but it was her last weekend here, and from the looks of it, she really wanted me to be there. i said "ok, but i will come back before you guys start doing your bible reading." she was cleaning the dishes while i was grabbing my bags dashing out the door, then she said "when u come back, take that grey big sweat shirt off and put on something presentable, do your face thing too, there will be 50 something people there, all of their sons and daughters will be there too. everyone's your age, you will meet more people"
I KNEW IT! i knew it i knew it i knew it! she's been trying to get me go to church since i was 13. no offense to christians, but i hate how they like to preach and i don't know, it just seems like a cult to me! just as i was closing the door, she screams "i will get auntie L to pick you up at 5, be ready ok? remember to do your face thing."
it was 3:30, i was wandering around the mall by myself. have no desire to buy anything. went to Apple to charge my phone, b/c i forgot my charger at home and the endless Google Reader checking was eatting my battery out. Sigh.... how sad could i be, sat. night and I'm going to my mother's church gather to "meet" people. what happened to the single life in the city, all SITC, sipping cosmo and shit.
then i tried to waste time and walked to Swarovski. i needed to return something H got for me for my birthday. it's nice a set of necklace and earring, but i just don't see that sparkle anymore. the SA came over and asked if i needed any help, i was actually checking out this cute long necklace but it's $220, way over budget. so i said, i'd like to return something, but i don't have the receipt. the SA, let me just concentrate on the SA for a min, he's must be the cutest littlest miniest black man, i have ever seen. he so delicate, i could put him in my pocket. anyways, mr. cute-gay-black-SA said store policy will only allow store credit, but no full refund. well, H bought this on his card and it's been cancelled by me, so yea, let's not go there.
Mr.cute-gay-black-SA asked what was wrong the pieces, why did i want to return it. Well, I thought I'd tell the truth, I said "well, these are from my ex boyfriend and i just something new" His tone soften even softer than his already soft tone "that's fair enough, girl, i know how you feel." WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE GAY ONES THAT KNOWS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL? WHY NOT THE STRAIGHT ONES? maybe it wouldn't be so damn hard to find a man if all the straight men learned something from the gay ones. anywhos... i said, yea I'll just get store credit now and i will wait until Valentine's Day to get myself something special to mend my broken heart. he's scanning the items and said "girl, you know Valentine's Day's a while down the road, you never know what's happen."
well, whatever happens, i know it ain't gonna happen that soon.
5pm on the dot. i got picked up by Auntie L. She told me my mom had to go there early to help out with the preping of food. I was all like, god damn, how much y'all cooking? turns out it's just hot pot. hey, at least i get some good food out tonight, right?
shows up.. O M G, a house full of kids, old ones, young ones, people everywhereeee.... everyone's smiling at me and did the whole "asian" greeting, "ai ya! you are helen's daughter. oh my, look at you, you are so pretty! do you have a boyfriend?"
that question continued on for the rest of night. until i finally sat down and ate with a table full of high schooler, recent college graduates, grad students and a few people who were just like "me", working professional. one guy was really quiet at first, then he got really talkative once he learned i am 24 and working. he's all like "omg, me too! i thought i was the only one here." i gave him the look of "i know how it feels".
so anyways, at the end of the night, everyone exchanged facebook info. is this what this is now a days? no more numbers? just facebook infos? so yadi yada blah blah... end of the night, woo hooo.. bye bye
before i ran out the door, auntie *someone i never met* grabbed me and asked me to go to church tmr morning to meet "more" people. what? EVEN MORE people than this? ok ok ok yea, i will go, if i can get up. i just had to say anything to get out of the hands of the chinese iron claw.
ran out to the car, phew, i'm done, i'm so done. i'm going home and drawning myself in reality tv shows.
9pm - got a wall msg from him... hmm... ok.. replied. he replied again. so i got into this wall tagging thing. i was bored at home, plus my iphone's all charged, tada...
10pm - mom got home and demanded i take nyquil to get to sleeep quick and get over the cold. b/c i am going to church tmr. no if and or buts. i got nyquil shoved down my throat and passed the fuck out.
next day 9am - "get up! we are late, get up now. put your face on"
10am - chinese greeting "ai ya, you so pretty, are you working? how old are you? do you have a bf? NOOOO?? how could that be? no way! we must find you a good boy here. but you have to act quick. the good ones are all gone. see, see that one over there? that's eddie, he just turned 30, tall and handsome, graduated from u penn, but he just got married. see good ones are gone"
WHAT IS THE POINT OF PUTTING MYSELF OUT IF ALL THE GOOD ONES ARE GONE?
why is being single so freakin' demanding? like it's my damn job to put myself out there. =(
argh, i hate this
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hi Steph,
I got your package today! I totally didn't expect it! You're so sweet!!!! Thank you soooo much!! Now that will give me more things to add to my "to buy list" =D
Sounds like you had a hectic weekend. Haha..that's sooo like Chinese people to drown you with questions. It's always kinda weird when you see a bunch of Chinese people, even if they're your relatives, they gotta interview you lol. It's funny how your mom tells you to do your face thing hehe.
Don't worry, your Saturdays can't be that boring...Back home, I try to spend my days hiding away from my friends and not go out to unnecessary bubble tea-ing and save money instead, so I roll around watching foodtv.
There's still one out there for you, just keep your head up and he'll come one day. =D
A few good things seem to have finally came out from being in Korea and away from it all. I met you and a few other bloggers, not needing to worry about the drama back home. Even if I only have short occasional conversations with them, it still makes my day. Ah I hope it'll be different when I go back home. It is hard to find good friends.
I hope you have a great week. =)
haaaaaaaaa...Sorry for laughing. My Chinese mother was just trying to set me up with some Chinese guy earlier tonight and I only broke up with the bf over new years....Yeah way to start a year.
Neway I've been reading your blog for a little bit. I think you're beautiful.
Haha, aww, I love your story! I can relate definitely, on that last part. My mom and my mom's friends always trying to find me a good Chinese boy! xD
Kinda know how you feel.. I'm currently not looking and don't want to be looking because I'm just fed up. BUT my mom and her Chinese friends always bother me. You know how Chinese folks will chat about you as if you weren't there? They do it on the phone too so I'm always declining set-ups and facebook info swaps .. -_-
Things will get better... Keep your head up =)
HUGS
omg i wish i can tell u it improves after marriage but it doesnt
i get the "soooo when are you having children? why are u still working? u should quit and have kids blah blah blah"
Post a Comment