So how's everyone's Thursday going so far? Mine's alright. I'm working out of Jersey City office today. The office is located right on Hudson River, so I can take a walk outside by the river during lunch. Niceeee....
Mario Badescu is located at the first level of an appt building on the East Side. Quiet and typical East Side neighborhood feeling. The signs on the outside will leads you to the reception area.
When I arrived at 6:45pm for my 7pm appt, it was a big crowded in there. At least 8 customers were waitting by the waitting area and about 3-4 receiption/facialist at the front desk sending off and welcoming customers. Busy, but what did ya expect? It's a $65 facial with a well known brand name skin care line. I sat down with a copy of their product guide to pass time. I noticed they had a cosmetic line too. But there were no name on the packages and they seem to be very very old display. The lipglosses had that funky old grandma smell. ewww.. Ok, that just completely killed my desire to grop them. The walls are lined with celebrities like Jennifer Aniston and Cher's "Thank you" head shots. I told myself to keep my hopes not too high, as I've read some pretty bad reviews on Citysearch.
10 mins later, my name got called and a receiptionist escorted me to another apt across the hall. I guess that's where they have the extra rooms. Yes it's dingy, yes it's outdated, especially the wall papers, oh god. But I didn't think it was unbearable, maybe I'm just used to the Chinese facial places, and you know those places can really think of ways to cut cost (I went to a facial place that had neon lighting, hmm.. questionable.. but it was so cheap!).
My facialist, Louis, welcomed me by my name. Asked me to get in a robe (very plastic-y feeling robe, doubt they ever wash it) and lay down. She asked me a few questions, do you do facials, is this your first time, what are your concerns? I told honestly, my first time here and just wanted extraction and clean up the little bumps on my forehead.
She had a very cold and hard hand. Instinct tells me, man, this is gonna hurt like a bitch. She went on to remove my makeup, cleansed and massaged my face, neck and shoulders. Steam comes up, she went on to massage my hands and put them in a hot pouch, hmm... feels gooood... While I rested with steam on my face and hot mittens on my hand, she turns off the light and said she'd be back soon.
5 mins went by, she comes back in and turned on that bright ass magnifiying glass/light. At this point, I already know, there is no turning back. She patted my face dry and said "I know this part is not the best part, but you will thank me later." I cracked a smile.
Turns out, the extraction wasn't bad at all. She used finger gloves and her nails to squeeze out the black/white heads. She squeezed a lot of black head out of my nose, omg, I could totally FEEL IT coming out. Had about 2 pimples, which she popped. But it really isn't bad at all! It hurted, yes, but not to the point where I had tears coming out. Believe me when I say I have had worse. I have been bruised by extractions before and had a scratch on my nose for weeks, which ended up to be a dark spot and eventurally went away. But she wasn't bad and it only lasted about 15 mins I think. I have had extraction done for 30 mins and seriously, I thought my fake nose was going to pop out b/c they would squeeze it so hard and deep.
She looked at my skin carefully and said she'd recommand a glycolic peel and a seaweed mask, which are extras. They are $35 and $45 extra on top of the $65. Sure, add it, I'm here, might as well. I knew my skin was in really bad condition.
The peel stung a bit. And the mask was really cool and I totally passed out while doing the mask. She removed the mask and patted on some cream, eye cream and lip cream, and dotted some drying cream on spots. Then she sent me out to the receiptionist, who's going to give me a consultation (sell me some shit I don't need).
My skin wasn't red or bloachy immediately after the facial and felt refreshed and glowy. Happy with the result. I wanted to buy the Silve Powder to try at home, since I've heard a lot of bloggers talk about how good it is at removing black heads.
Went to the receiptionist, she just told me the total. I know it was 8pm, but dang, that girl had her running shoes and bags ready to go, like she's ready to run out of here. I ask "i thought you were going to give me a consultation?" she replied "Do you WANT a consultation?" I'm thinking, bitch, i'm giving you a chance to run your mouth and make some commissions, what a freaking idiot. So I said "i'm interested in the silver powder". She told me, the silver powder only works to bleach the black head, it doesn't do anything to remove it. Then she went on to shove a few more samples my way. Cucumber Tonic Mask, Whitening Mask, Toners, more masks. I give up. I paid and I went on my way.
Overall, I'd say I'll go back again for a basic facial with nothing added. It's pretty good at basic deep cleansing and extraction, which is what I need anyways. Plus, I didn't pay Louis any tips, she never asked. $140 well spent, I say.
what a great way to end the day.
oh yea, by the way, I sinned and went to Saks and bought $150 worth of stuff and got my free bag. There is a full size MAC lipstick in Syrup and at least 20 other samples, a LM Powder Eye liners too i think. Well, I'll post pictures. I haven't really opened anything yet. FYI, I bought stuff from the MAC Starflash Collection, which isn't out until the end of Aug, but SAKS had it out just for yesterday. Can you guess what I got????

5 comments:
I always love reading your entries because they are so interesting.
Interesting experience at MB and your previous entry about the Colon cleansing experience has definetly left a lasting impression in my mind.
Please update the goodies you got at Saks.
BTW, Daisy looks so adorable in that picture.
Hehe, so interesting to read your experience there~ At least you didn't go home with scars this time.
I wanna check out SAKS!
thank you for that detailed post on your experience at MB. good thing your facialist wasnt too bad.
Man... you already got a hold of the starflash collection? lucky you! too bad I dont have a Saks anywhere near me :(. I wanna know what you got :)!!!
It's about time for my facial, but I don't feel like going back to my facialist. What's awful is my coworker recommended her to me, but she was mean on my last appointment! Even my coworker agrees. But it's so cheap!
That receptionist is weird and came off rude. I wouldn't wanna give commission to that kind of CS.
Ahhhh... ramen! My town don't have specialty restaurants like y'all do. When it's japanese food, it's always about sushi. That just means I have to find another place that sells good ramen.
Thank you so much!!
Daisy is so adorable in that picture!!. I did not expect such a gift.
Thank you for you blog, and for being so great. I do not even know what to say!I have saved Daysis picture in my laptop...so cute!
Hugs:
Mimmi
Post a Comment