Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The only thing that doesn't change in this world is CHANGE itself

hello blogger world... since my return from the fabulous Vegas, I've been MIA. However, a good reason such as unemployeement would cut it, no?

If you read the paper, watch the news, or haven't been living under a rock for the past week, you'd know that the 4th largest investment filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and it just so happens I work for that bank. So with that said, I've been in shock, denial, cried, bitched, and finally now I am updating my resume and talking to recruiters.

You might think we know more since we work here, but the truth is, we know as much as the news put out. I may be in the known for what I, PERSONALLY, should do to get another job, like pull a few strings, make a few phone calls, but as far as the fate of the rest of us... it's in the hands of the market...

An experience like this really makes me see life differently. I slaved for this job, never liked it and yet made enough money to have the life style I have now, but at the end of the day, it could be taken away from me in an instant. I'm looking forward to finally take the leap. No one knows what I will be doing today, this week, or next month, I could be in freaking South Africa working for MTV for all I know, but it is what it is, CHANGES, get used to it and keep on moving.

For everyone else who are not working on the street (Wall Street, that is), the best suggestion I can give is, SAVE YOUR MONEY, DIVERSIFY YOUR INVESTMENT and DON'T PANIC, there really is nothing you can do about anything. Just sit tight and watch as the cookie crumbles.

Check CNBC and CNN daily if not hourly, to keep a closer look at AIG, Morgan and Goldman. At least that's what I'm doing... until Barclay makes a decision..

5 comments:

Angie said...

Oh wow, I didn't know you worked for Lehman Brothers. What happens for ya if Barclays does pay parts of Lehman?

Good luck with everything! Job searching is currently quite hard but with your work experience I'm sure it'll be much easier for you. Since you didn't like your job very much, maybe this is a good opportunity to step back and figure out what path you want go choose next.

Unknown said...

good luck on your job search. I hope that in the midst of this, something good will happen and hopefully you'll find your dream (if not a better) job.

it's a bit scary to hear what's been going on lately in our economy. hopefully whoever our next president may be will get us out of this slump.

fuzkittie said...

Ahhh good luck. You're one of the few people I know who've been directly impacted by this change. I'm sure you can make this change a positive one~ You seem very positive, smart and strong.

Not working with the financial industry directly, I haven't felt much impact at all, except that one of my stocks isn't doing well. Ha. We'll all just have to deal how we can!

Ye said...

Hi, I was worried about my friends at Lehmann in London as well. Someone just started the graduate scheme two weeks ago. I am not that much better off since I am searching for a job as well - and I don't have a cv like yours (just internships so far - no jobs...). Life sucks. I might talk to my family ang get a Ph.D. ...

CuttiBeBe said...

angie - if barclay buys us, we'll stay for a while until the two firms merge and find out redundency, and fire/layoff the duplicates. this is what i think might happen.
yea job searching sucks. but then again, it's a chance for me to see what's out there for me. plus i can really look inward and find out what it is that i want.

anne - thanks doll! all i gotta say is, OBAMA!

fuz - yea my stocks are down too. but my mutual funds are doing ok. my 401k went down 20%, bummer. whatever, i'll just live out of my car with a trunk full of make up. =P maybe i'll start selling them out of my trunk, LOL. damn ghetto.

blue orchid - your friend might have lost the job already, barclay didn't buy our european and asian subsidury. it sucks especially when you JUST started. my resume isn't all that either. there are way too many people out there just me, looking for the same thing. =(