Thursday, September 11, 2008

Paul & Joe Base Makeup Review w/ FOTD

Here is a comprehensive review of the P&J Base Makeup Review. Thought I'd write a serious and thorough review to regain my inner beauty blogger strength.








Moisturising Foundation Primer (30ml, 3 shades, SPF 12 PA+, except for Shade #3)


This is the new lineup of primers that replaced the old ones. Same beautiful glass bottle, different formulas. This is lauched with the new Creamy Foundation Compact on Sept.1st. I'm going to review shade #1 and #3.
Shade #1 - brighten effect. have fine shimmer in a creamy white/beige color. when I first used it, I was shocked at how WHITE it made me look. I used it on my entire face as I do with my other primers, but I think with this one, it's the best to use only areas where you need to highlight. I have medium to tanned yellow undertone skin, and this was way too white for me. The formula was moist as the name indicates. But I felt a little uncomfortable after an hour, due to the high moisture in the primer, my skin felt sufficating. I'd say this is a no-no for any girl with even a little bit of tan. If you want to be milky white, this is your buddy.
Shade #3 - clear, transparent, high moisturising action. It's a sheer beige color, kind of like a gel cream texture. There is no shimmer in it. The purpose of this primer is to moisturize skin before foundation. I used it on a day where I had dry patches and was wearin the Duo Powder Foundation over it. The transparent gel cream texture is a lot more pleasant than shade #1. To me, a moisturizing primer should be used with a powder foundation to fight the dryness. So when used with Duo Powder Foundation, it felt very smooth and looked very glowy (most powder foundation will look ashy and flat on me). I like it, but only for the winter or very dry months, b/c it is so moisturizing and I have combo skin. Sometimes I do a better job with keeping the moisture with my daily skin care, that I really don't need such a highly moisturizing primer.




Protective Foundation Primer UV (29.6ml, SPF 30+ PA++)

TheProtective Foundation Primer UV is a creamy beige color without ANY shimmer. I like the sqeeze tube design a lot better, a lot cleaner and sanitary, easier to take on trips. The texture of this primer is a little thicker and creamier than the Moisturizing Foundation Primers. It goes on like a good day lotion, but also leaves behind a little tint, which whitens me a little bit (you can see it in the FOTDs i took below). Once on the face, you can feel that stickiness of the primer. I know that primer are supposed to grab onto foundation and make it last longer, however, I'm not one who likes stickiness in anything on my face. I used it with the Dual Powder Foundation and even with the powder foundation, you can still feel the stickness. At first, the powder foundation felt smooth and silky, I think the primer helped with evening out my skintone as well, so that was a good thing. But an hour later, you will feel the stickiness coming back. I sit in an AC blasting office all day, and my face gets sticky? Where the humidity and moisture comes from is beyond me, but I think the primer has to do with it. I'm trying it with my mineral foundation today, and I'll see if it does a better job.





Protective Dual Powder Foundation UV (SPF 20 PA+++, 8 Shades)

Ah.. powder foundations.. I love it for its easy going personality, easy to apply, easy to carry around, no mess, no fuss, that's all I want it in a foundation. I got shade #30 and I feel like it's still a little too light on me. The SA said she didn't want to go any darker in fear of making me look muggy, I agree, but I also don't want to look like a cancer patient. I'm a normally MAC Studio Fix C35-40, and Shade #30 would probably be better for my winter skin if I get any lighter.

Texture is very silky and smooth. Applies like a dream, no skipping, no powdering cakey feeling, doesn't dry my skin out. The coverage is medium and buildable, I haven't experienced any cakeiness with over applying, but I'm light handed when it comes to foundation. 2 double dipping to cover the entire face, third dip to cover places where I need more coverage, pimple scars, around my nose and under eyes. Once applied, skin is soft and smooth to touch, I love feeling my skin after I apply it, though I know I shouldn't. I'd say it's a close to HG foundation for me, but the color is just a weeeeey tad bit little too light for me. Otherwise, I think it's a fantastic foundation that does the job quickly and easily.


Bare Face


Applied Protective Foundation Primper UV all over face, see I told you it made me look lighter


Applied Dual Powder Foundation in #30 all over face, touch of P&J Face Color in #10 (brick red/golden duo) on the cheeks


P&J lipgloss in #09. See how sheer it goes on? barely adds any color to my lips, but I like the shine and smoothness.

Hope this was helpful. Any questions about P&J product. Ask this way.. I will try my best to get a sample tester and let y'all know how it is. =)

3 comments:

fuzkittie said...

I'm SOOO getting the gloss, hahaha. Thanks for the reviews! The P&J primer is a tad sticky, but I actually don't mind the dewy feeling.

You look great with that blush!!!

ⓚ☪ said...

Everytime in the past I tried to leave you a comment I think something went wrong in the process & it never went through. Anyhow, your one of my favorites to read.

Loved this thorough review. Hope I can get my hands on these products to try sometime.

ⓚ☪ said...

Oh no, its probably not your fault. I think when I submitted my comments I had an error on my end or connection error.