Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Review: Make Up Forever HD Primer 01, Invisible Foundation, and Finishing Powder

Today I bring my Vegas Sephora Haul.. I snatched up the MUFE HD base makeup, Laura G Value Set (I will review later), and a whole bunch of samples on the left.
Let's start with bare face. This is about the second or third day after coming back from Vegas. I had a huge zit right in the center of my forehead from stressing over my job, and to release my stress I popped that sucker. So now I look Indian, fantastic!

HD Microperfecting Primer
What it is:A lightweight, oil-free complexion corrector that enhances the skin's texture and primes the skin for makeup application.
What it does:HD Microperfecting Primer deeply nourishes, moisturizes, and softens the skin, creating a glowing effect. Creates a protective layer on the skin allowing foundation to glide on easily and last longer.
Size: 1.01 oz
Price: $32

The HD primer I got is 01 (green). I hate my red cheeks, all that acne scar left my cheeks thinner than the rest of my face, so you could see the pink/red area on it. Green neutrualizes redness. The texture of the primer is that of a lotion. It's like most primer out there, there is no silicone in it and doesn't make my face feel slipper. My face felt hydrated and a bit sticky, I guess that's supposed to grab the foundation and have it stay on. Whenever I wear a hydrating primer, I like to use it with a powder foundation, I just feel like liquid on top of liquid makes my face too heavy and can't breathe. But it does a great job at covering the redness and neutralize the tone in my face. (I dabbed a little tea tree oil on the zit b/c it was open, so I didn't want the primer to get in that open zit)

Pro: Good at what it does - neutralize redness, it's oil-free but does a good job at keeping skin hydrated, gives a nice glow, could be used as a day lotion, but no SPF
Con: Not good for people with very oily skin, no SPF


HD Invisible Cover Foundation
What it is:An oil-free medium-to-full-coverage liquid foundation that covers skin imperfections flawlessly while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life.
What it does:Creates a soft-focus effect, designed to meet the coverage concerns of those in the spotlight. It creates a complexion that looks flawless, even in bright or harsh lighting.
Size: 1.01 oz
Price: $40

I got #123 Desert in this, which is described as Light Skin with Olive Undertone. I never knew I had Olive undertone, but ok. The color match is pretty close, but I think I could go 1 shade darker. The texture is almost the same as the primer but runnier. I used a kabuki brush and buffed it on my face. The foundation sinks in pretty well, but it really doesn't have any coverage. it's about the same coverage as a TM. Well, if i wanted light coverage, i'd go with a TM, not paying $40 for a foundation. I want medium coverage that's buildable. I think this foundatioin does a very poor job at it. I'm not sure if it's the foundation or primer, but my face felt way too moisturized and a bit sticky. It's as if I have a light hydrating mask on, but by eyes, you can't see that. I'm not liking this foundation b/c it does nothing to control shine, conceal pores and gives no coverage. I'm returning it.

Pro: light coverage, feels moisturized on skin and sinks in pretty well.
Con: light stickiness, way too light of coverage, price tag ($40???, i could get chanel with that).



HD Microfinish Powder
What it is:A universal translucent finishing powder to be applied over foundation or worn alone.
What it does:Sets the foundation and slightly mattifies skin without changing its natural contours. This 100% mineral silica powder softens the appearance of imperfections. Completely evens out the complexion for a glowing, radiant look. One universal shade for all skin tones.
What else you need to know:It's completely translucent and goes on any skintone. Its talc-free formula does not dry the skin and is formulated with 100% silica. Dermatologically tested
Size: 0.35oz
Price: $30

I don't need to sing any more praise for this powder. The picture tells a thounsand words. This is a great finishing powder and has a HG potential. However, I do have a Revue (Kanebo) finishing powder that's almost the same as this one. Japanese makeup is way in advance when it comes to base makeup, so I'm just going to compare this to American brands. It gives a nice flawless finish to the crappy foundation I put on, concealed my pores and gave a nice soft focus glow to my face. Absolutely divine!

Pro: gives a soft focus finish to foundation, conceals pores, colorless
Con: it's too small for the price, i was expecting a bigger jar like most other finishing powders.

6 comments:

Angie said...

I love that I can see the results of each product that you apply! The primer really does counteract redness and the powder gives such a nice finish! I have both (primer in muave), and you make me want to take pictures to see the results.

The pasta looks amazing. I might have to make it sometime!

fuzkittie said...

Woo glad you like the primer and the powder! I've always wondered about the foundation~

Anonymous said...

the finishing powder looks good but i think i will check out Revue

you are right, japanese brands are far better esp for my skin type

mayaari said...

thanks for the review on all those products - I've been curious about the HD foundation since the powder is reaching HG status, but I guess the foundation was a bust. I've been using a mineral version of the HD powder from Aromaleigh and it seems to work just as well, but I don't have the actual HD powder to compare.

Anonymous said...

Hm for the finishing powder, since it is just 100% silica powder, it makes sense to just get the silica powder itself without paying for the brand name. Especially since you can get 1 ounce for around $5 before shipping.

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/product/388_46/silica-powder-spheres.cfm

http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=290&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tkbtrading.com%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26keyword%3Dsilica

http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=568&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tkbtrading.com%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26keyword%3Dsilica

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4076644/5301285.htm


I am not promoting in any way for them, it's just a thought. I've been looking up information for stuff like these for a year.

Gee said...

I've been wanting to try their HD line so badly. INGG!!!

Must get my hands on it soon.

Lemming more now...