Monday, September 29, 2008

YSL - Overhyped or Overlooked?

I've always loved YSL for its elegant gold packaging and products with choke full of beneficial ingredients, why hasn't anybody written much about them is beyond me. Until their new lipstick came out, and everyone and their mom's jump on the YSL bandwagon. Maybe their target market is older women, more in line with ladies who can spend at La Mer or Sisley level? But there's no doubt that YSL has always been on my beauty horizon, I just could never justify the price. So when I saw the new nice big fat lipstick came out and everyone raved about it, I wrote it down on my little "to-buy list" and prepared to spend $34 on this little gem.. But it turns out..

This is NOTHING like I imagined it would be. I thought this was supposed to give me nice coverage, hydrates my lips, shines like a lipgloss and makes me look like a millioin dollars when I bust it out of my purse. Ok, the last part might be true, the packaging truly is unique. However, I cannot understand anyone except for 50 year old's would LOVE this formula. On me, most of the colors looked way too opaque, way too MOD, made me look like I belong in a Austin Power's movie. It's so creamy looking, made me look like one of those Floridian grandmas. The only color that even resembled slightly to what I call a MLBB, is #09, Caress Pink. Even with that, the lipstick felt like a big messy heavy goo on my lips. It's one of those lipstick you feel like you can't move your lips, b/c it'll somehow end up on your chin. Argh, just awful! how could anyone rave about this? I know the packaging is awesome, I'd buy it to look at it, wear it around my neck, but the product itself? C'mon now girls, don't rave about shit just cuz it's expensive.



Now, this, my friend, is something to rave about. When I first checked it out online, I thought i'd be more drawn to the lilac or purple shades, but after seeing it in person, I can't help but falling in love with the Indian Pink. The colors on the left are great accent colors for the crease, i'd describe them as purple-pewter-taupe with silver shimmer. It's quite unique, b/c most taupe looks dirty on me and i have an unknown disease called "i-must-buy-every-purple-eyeshadow-itis", so i think with the added purple in the taupe, it could possible be my HG crease color. I don't care for the pink on the top right, but it is a pretty pink, lady like, not your 13 year old cheer leader kind. The dark purple on the bottom right, is a warmer toned purple with red/rose shimmer in it. I love dark purples as eye lining color, it's not as harsh as black, not as boring as brown, and enhances my brown eys. SOLD. I'm getting this next time I head to the mall. Be hold for a more in depth review. $56 out of the pocket.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Oooh, how does this palette compare to Dior palettes? I've discovered that Dior eyeshadows aren't highly pigmented which is fine for me since I don't like real bright shadows anyways.

You should look at YSL pure shine lipsticks next time you're at a counter. The texture is amazing and coverage is sheer, silky, and shiny.

CuttiBeBe said...

Angie - I don't own any Dior palette b/c they are either too chalky or never show up on me. When I tested my friend's dior palette, I find that they give a lot of iricadencent (omg horrible spelling, but u get it right?) shine, but no actual color. So only the shimmer part would show up and not the actual color. I think the YSL one is a good balance between being too pigmented and too sheer. the texture of the 5 shadows are different too.

I'll definitely check out YSL pure shine lipstick next time i go there! I just get so distracted by packagings!

Gee said...

I got a few things from their fall collection. I love the gold packaging!

I like the RV lipsticks, although, I don't think completely lived up to the hype. Still, they aren't bad~