i met with my shrink yesterday. british guy in a pinstrip suit, office over looking central park, he looks a little anthony hopkin-ish, in a less creepy way. this guy speaks fluent mandarin and teaches at a chinese university. smart guy.
anyways, our 1-hour session began with filling out name, address boring stuff for insurance. then he asked me what brought me here. i explained my experience with anxiety attacks and depression, but am getting much better now, however, i want to complete "cure" it, b/c sometimes i can still get a mild anxiety attacks, and still am unhappy. he then asked me about my life, where i was born, where i went to school, any siblings, who i came to the US with...
i was born in china, moved to the US when i was 11 with my mother at first. no siblings (one-child policy, c'mon who didn't know that?) when i was 6 months old, my mom left me on a business trip, i grew up with my grandmother until i was 2yrs old. then went back home to be with my parents, spent much of my time at day care.. mom and dad couldn't pick me up, so they arranged for other relatives to pick me up from day care, my aunts and uncles, the maid or the chauffer/body guard. the owner of the day care sees that they were so busy, she offered to take care of me in her house, and my parents came to visit me every weekend. i went to elementry school early b/c then i can start walking home with my friends and not have my parents pick me up. so they changed my birthday half yr early to 3/12/84, in stead of 9/12/84 (in china at that time, i had to be 6 by 9/1 to be eligible for school)
parents traveled throughout my elementry school life. i grew up with a live-in maid and the random drop-ins of aunts, uncles and cousins. i was very happy, though my parents were barely around, i never felt i was "missing" love.
Move to US, first yr was horrible, mom beat me almost everyday b/c i couldn't speak english. then the kids in school was beatting me and making fun of me, pushing me down the stairs, but i never told my mom anything afraid of her beating me for not being able to speak english to stand up for myself (does that make sense?) but by that time, i was seeing my mother everyday, finally had a family life, knowing what it feels like to come home to mom's cooking, not a maid's cooking.
anyways, that's as far as we've gotten in the first visit. he asked me if i think the absence of my mother in the early years could have affected me. quite honestly, i'm used to my parents not being there everyday. it was normal as many of my childhood friend's parents were around much either. we were all single child, played with each other and kept each other company while our parents were out there doing their thing. i don't think it affected me at all. i just learned how to be independent from an early age. bathing myself, brushing my own teeth, pick out my own clothes, you know the small stuff. she wasn't absent from my heart, i guess. i've always knew she loved me.
next visit, he's going to ask me more specific questions and we are gonna come up with a treatment plan. there is much to be unraveled. i don't necessarily feel "weak" or defeated to see a shrink. i think i've grew stronger to admit i need help. feeling sad, lonely, anxious and depressed is normal, those are normal emotions. it's just at certain situations to certain people, stress and anxity sets in more profoundly and gets out of control. it's hard to explain anxiety attacks and depression if you have never experienced it. But i suggest those who THINK they might have it, go get help. i tried to fight this battle on my own for almost 2 years, though i've gotten better, but im still not "fixed". there is much going on with our emotions that we cannot explain.
i hope this helps clear up some questions... by the way, i'm not taking Zoloft, i did some research on WEBMD, the drug reacts differently to different people.. it's too unstable to risk it. i'm not THAT depressed, where side effects are worth it. For now, i'll carry around my .25mg xanax, just in case....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I sincerely hope you feel better about life and things~
Maybe knowing Saks Friends & Family sale starts this Thursday to Sunday might cheer you up? :D 15% off cosmetics...not too bad :P
Avoid grapefruit~! :)
That's so good you're not taking drugs, I just don't believe that those drugs actually help... I'm not sure, I know I'm no doctor, but I think treatments for the mind and soul should be non-drug related!!
I really enjoy how you share this with us, not that I'm enjoying your anxiety attacks and symptoms, I just feel like I can relate, even though I know for sure I don't have such symptoms.
Your mom and kids at school beat you when you couldn't speak English well... that almost made me cry. :[ I still have water in my eyes! :[[[
You're such a strong girl, and you know yourself really well, that's what's really important. :D
thanks for sharing. I kinda went through the same thing when I was younger. Well not really get beat by others, but I was always the laughing stock by everyone in school cuz I had buck teeth. They picked on me so much that I would always come home crying. It's prolly why I have self-esteem issues sometimes or I just feel the need to please everyone cuz of that. I dont know, but kids can be really mean.
I really hope you'll find your happiness :)
your post has given me much strenght..my childhood memories are somehow similar as yours...the live in maid ( she lived with us for more than 10 years), the absent parents, the feeling loved even though relatives take care of me, even my mom acts like yours, very controlling( and mine is inquisitive too), but she would not treat me bad for not knowing english but for being "weak of character" (!) and for just being not like her.
I am happy for you, that you are taking care of yourself, I will do the same. Thank you so much.
Hugs.
Mimmi
HUGS
hope this sessions work out well for you
Also yes do try to get Bk-1 KATE , i think it flatters everyone ^^
I'm sorry to hear you're going through a hard time! I hope things will get better and you will feel less anxious. To tell you the truth, I think everyone is anxious about certain things. We just deal with it differently.
I'm also glad you're not taking medication for this. I've seen the side affects of taking drugs and it's not a pretty sight.
im glad that the psych doc is helping you out. And im glad to know that things will work out WITHOUT drugs because that's the route i'm trying to take.
i agree..after 2 years for me also, i've gotten "better" but i still feel....unhappy. empty more rather. It's like, whenever i'm "happy", its just i "know" im happy but I dont actually "FEEL" happy--you know what i mean? its an "empty-happy" feeling i get and i want to fix that because im in a relationship with my boyfriend for over 3 years now and we BOTH feel empty like that, but i feel more of the emptyness than him.
I didn't go through as much as you when I was younger, but I did grow up a bit unhappy and lonely, and things just got exponentially worse. I want to fully figure out what's the cause of my depression and anxieties cuz i know both of us can't live like this forever. I can't settle for half-happy because I know somewhere down the road "happy" will be the most liberating feeling i'll probably feel.
I hope to hear more of your psych doc visits because each of these blogposts you do is making me feel better. Im just partially able to slightly heal a bit more when i read your stuff. I haven't gotten to find my school doc yet cuz i haven't found the time to yet. too much hw and test to study for inbetween my break times (only time i have that is mondays and wednesdays).
thanks so much for writing these :) i don't feel so alone and bad anymore for being like this cuz my other friends aren't going through what i am. actually, one of my friends is, BUT she's on medication drugs, and she is addicted to it to the max and whenever she's not on it, she gets really cranky-i don't want to become dependent like her. I wish she could find some way to slowly decrease her dosage...it's really sad to see her engulfed in those pills to remain happy because what i feel is that when taking pills like these, we should still be able to function without them. We may function not to our liking but at least we're still able to think--but she can't. im worried for her..
anyway, thanks again :)
Thanks for sharing this story. I'm sure there are other girls you have aspired through your blog.
Hope you find a solution to your problems w/o the help of any drugs. Your body will thank you in the long run. Thank positive daily, you have a loving bf and Daisy by your side. I know its tough growing up w/the absence of your parents. Sigh* Okay think positive. You are stronger than you think you are. That is how we all are w/o realizing it. =)
____
Oh, I still know very little about P&J products. Still haven't decided on any products I must own. I think I'm just a sucker for cute packaging.
I don't know you and found your blog by mistake but *hugs*
Hope you get through this! xox
Ah... this is my first time to your blog. I thought I was alone. :) I'm now also seeing a doctor regarding my own depression. I'm trying to fight it badly for about 5 years but that doesn't help. I feel worse for most days so I decided that I needed help. The shrink here doesn't really listen or ask any questions that will help me figure things out though. But I think my problem is all the pressure from work and my crazy new life (I just relocate and am now living in 2 houses every week, one for work day and one for weekend) plus a hardness of relationship (very demanding bf is a huge problem here.):P Anyway, I got some prescriptions and it seems to help me control over my sometime-overly-emotional phase. After 6 months, although not 100%, the doc said I can go without the med, but I have to take care of life balance. Tough jobs! I still get that lonely no-one-ever-really-love-me feeling sometimes, but I'm quite sure I will manage that and I'm entitle to live happily. So, good luck on your quest.
;)
Post a Comment